Riso Gallo The Italian Rice & Risotto Experts, e into its collection – Venere Rustico and 3 Grain Mix Rustico.
Venere Rustico is a black wholegrain rice grown just in Italy which is perfect for fragrant risottos, soups and superfood salads. Exclusive to Riso Gallo, it is the only black rice that cooks in just 18 minutes.
3 Grain Mix Rustico is a unique blend of rice, spelt and barley. The long and tapered grains make it ideal for salads, healthy side dishes, soups, stews and textured risottos. Cooks in only 18 minutes.
They are milled on traditional stones which, thanks to a gentle abrasion of the grain, retains part of its coating, giving it a slightly amber colour, and preserving its organoleptic and nutritional qualities. In this way, the rice retains a higher fibre content, boosting its nutritional content and giving it a rich taste and a unique flavour. Available NOW at Tesco, Ocado, Waitrose & Booths stores
BLACK RICE TABOULEH WITH GRILLED VEGETABLES
Serves 4 Prep time 15 mins Cooking time: 40 minutes
350g Venere black rice
juice and zest of 2 lemons
2 small aubergines, thickly sliced
2 large courgettes, thickly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded, cut into large cubes
1 head fennel, peeled, cut into 2cm thick slices
2tb olive oil
12 mint leaves, coarsely chopped
2tb coarsely chopped parsley
2tb capers, rinsed and dried
50g pine nuts, toasted
- Cook the black rice in plenty of boiling water for 18 minutes until cooked, then drain in a colander to drain well, transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, capers, herbs, and pine nuts, mix well, season to taste.
- Preheat a pan grill on the heat.
- Liberally brush the aubergines, courgettes, peppers and fennel with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place the vegetables on the extremely hot grill plate and grill until cooked and lightly charred all over (you may need to do this in batches)
- When the grilled vegetables are ready, transfer them to the rice tabbouleh and serve immediately.
Recipe by Paul Gayler @gaylerpaul and photography by Majella O’ Connell @pavlovaandcream