UK Road Safety Week 2018. Devitt Insurance Services and Ford are headline sponsors.
Road Safety Week is 19 to 25 November 2018. Thousands of campaigners, community groups, road safety professionals, companies and schools get involved. Theme: Bike Smart: safety of those on two wheels.
Motorbike insurance specialist Devitt Insurance promotes rider safety for nearly a century and will help Brake raise awareness of protecting motorcyclists. They make up the largest proportion (25%) of road crash admissions to trauma centres.
Ford launched its Share The Road campaign to improve road safety for everyone. Importantly, there is particular emphasis on cyclists. Ford will help Brake focus attention on what all road users can do to prevent cyclist deaths and injuries.
Those on two wheels are among the most vulnerable UK road users.
- More than a third of people killed or seriously injured on our roads are on two wheels.
- More than 100 bike riders are injured every day in needless, preventable crashes .
Brake’s week-long campaign, coordinated with the support of the Department for Transport, raises awareness about protecting those on two wheels. They call for:
- cyclists and motorcyclists to be Bike Smart with safe riding behaviours, appropriate training, clothing and equipment;
- drivers to be Bike Smart by looking out for those on two wheels, driving safely and utilising the latest life-saving technologies in their vehicles; and
- policy-makers to be Bike Smart by taking a safe systems approach and designing segregated spaces for cyclists.
Registration is now open and all those taking part will receive a free action pack of resources to help them run their activities, produced by Brake. To register, visit www.roadsafetyweek.org.uk